The Snake Story!


 'Snake', the word definitely instills fear among many of us and just like everybody, i too was afraid of snakes and feared to them. But, I always had a curiosity within myself to know about these creatures and to know about the myths and misconceptions associated with them. Not just that, but I also wanted to rescue them one fine day and back in the days I used to believe that snake rescue is nothing but lifting the snake with bare hands, if it's a cobra kissing on their hood etc.. but little did I know that all these things, were dangerous and illegal...!!!

I messaged many snake rescuers whom I knew either through social media or personally to teach me to handle snakes or to teach me about them and a few of them even agreed to, but since I was a kid, people used to not take the matter seriously and/or term it as 'madness'.

However, It is said that not everything comes by teaching, few things come to you naturally and yes, snake rescuing came to me naturally a few years down the line!

So here's some information about snakes that people don't know about: 

In India, people think all the snakes are venomous, but in reality; India has only about 300+ snakes out of which approximately only 60 of them are venomous and out of these 60, only four of them are considered to be medically important snakes and these four are responsible for nearly 60,000 deaths in India every year and these are known as the 'Big Four' snakes of India.


They are: 

A) Spectacled Cobra (Look-alikes: Banded Racer, Rat Snake) 


B) Russell's Viper (Look-alikes: Indian Rock Python, Common Sand Boa, Whitaker's Boa) 


C) Common Indian Krait (Look-alikes: Wolf Snakes, Bridal Snakes) 


D) Saw Scaled Viper  (Look-alikes: Cat Snakes) 


Note:- All the look-alike snakes are either non venomous or mildly venomous snake, so don't get puzzled.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Does "Nag Mani" exists in real life? Here's the truth!!

Snakes entering your home? Do not worry!